Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Audacity of Hope


I have finally finished reading Barack Obama's 'Audacity of Hope', and I’m still in a state of incredulity as to how some of his personal stories are exact replicate of mine. Obviously, there is a huge disparity in the society where he was raised, age, career, and experiences in life compared to those of mine, but I can still relate to some of the difficulties that posed themselves as obstacles on his path towards greatness. The never-ending scuffle that goes on in my mind about the need to break the cycle and be a better person than my father was as I navigate through life like a voyageur. Barack Obama is indeed a great man and a role model who is worthy of emulation. Here is an excerpt from the book’s epilogue that resonated while I was finishing up the book:

"The audacity of hope. That was the best of the American spirit, I thought – having the audacity to believe despite all the evidence to the contrary that we could restore a sense of community to a nation torn by conflict; the gall to believe that despite personal setbacks, the loss of a job or an illness in the family or a childhood mired in poverty, we had some control – and therefore responsibility – over our own fate…"

I strongly recommend this book to anyone. Next book please :-)

4 comments:

Oh my Dior! said...

it's cool that you read this book

http://www.ohmydior.org/

The Corner Shop said...

Great book. Everyone SHOULD read it

Adiya
http://thecornershopng.blogspot.com

'Biodun said...

@Oh my Dior! - I'm happy that I did as well I learnt a lot :)

@Adiya I concur.

Boma said...

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna get it!!

http://www.bomabrown.blogspot.com